Surgical Wetlab in Tays Training Centre
To provide training in glaucoma surgery for EGS Fellows and other young ophthalmologists who work and reside within the geographical boundaries of Europe. The mentor is a trainer/mentor/supervisor at her/his home institution and willing to train her/his trainees in the Tays cadaver training centre, Tampere, Finland.
Overview of the 1.5 -day training process (3 half days)
First Half day
- Didactic lecture by the mentor on surgical techniques. Local surgeons may attend the lecture.
- Introduction and rules of Surgical Education Centre
- Demonstrations of glaucoma surgery by the mentor (e.g. trabeculectomy, tubes, sclerectomy, canaloplasty, ab-externo MIGS)
Two half days
- Surgery by the trainees (4 cadavers) under the mentor’s supervision with the help of local glaucoma surgeon
- Discussions and take home messages
In addition, a general lecture by the visiting mentor to Tays Eye Centre staff will be appreciated.
- The EGS grant will cover the costs of the training centre and accommodation (2 nights in the hotel located in the same building as the Tays Eye Centre) for the mentor and the trainee(s)
- Travel costs are not covered by the grant
Young ophthalmologist who:
- has special interest in glaucoma
- desires to gain / improve skills in glaucoma surgery
- works and resides within the geographical boundaries of Europe
- has a mentor at her/his home institution who is willing to train her/him in the Tays cadaver training centre, Tampere, Finland.
- The mentor fills in the online form
- The maximum number of trainees per mentor at any one time is two
- Filling the online form leads to an automated query to the Tays Eye Centre to check for availability of the desired dates
- Once dates have been agreed between the mentor and Tays Eye Centre, the Tays Eye Centre will inform the EGS Secretary. Please ensure that the EGS Secretary is cc'd in all correspondence.
- The EGS Secretary checks the application and mails the completed application to the Training Support Committee for evaluation
- The Training Support Committee makes a recommendation of acceptance or rejection to the Executive Committee
- After Executive Committee’s decision, the EGS Secretary will inform the mentor
- EGS requests a short report of the learning experiences, addressed to the Training Support Committee and mailed to the EGS Secretary within one month after completion of the visit.
To apply for a wet lab training, please fill in and send the following form (all the fields are mandatory):