To support a 1-month observership in the centres listed below.
- Other centres can also be considered for an observership, if a motivation for this choice is provided in the application letter.
- The observership may later on lead to a fellowship in the same centre (click here).
Single Contribution of 3000 €. If necessary, the applicant must be prepared to find additional funds to complete the 4-week observership.
Young ophthalmologist or resident who:
- has special interest in glaucoma
- desires to spend a one-month training period in a major glaucoma centre/department in Europe
- who is a European citizen, or who works and resides within the geographical boundaries of Europe
- The applicant contacts the centre of her/his interest and enquires the availability of observership.
- The applicant fills in the mandatory online form and attaches all required attachments including the positive response from the centre,
- The EGS Secretary checks the application and requests for references when necessary.
- The EGS Secretary mails the completed application to the Training Support Committee for evaluation.
- The Training Support Committee makes a recommendation of acceptance or rejection to the EGS Executive Committee.
- The EGS Secretary adds the recommendation of the Training Support Committee to the next Agenda of the Executive Committee meeting.
- After Executive Committee’s decision, the EGS Secretary informs the candidate about decision.
- In case of acceptance, the EGS Secretary mails the awardee the signed Certificate for Travel Grant which advices the next administrative steps:
- The awardee mails to the EGS Secretary the letter of acceptance from the training centre including the period of the visit.
- The awardee mails her/his bank data (IBAN and BIC codes) to the EGS Secretary for the payment
- EGS Secretary forwards the confirmation of all completed steps of the process (including the bank details) to the EGS Treasurer for payment of the Grant
- The Treasurer confirms the payment to the EGS secretary, who confirms the payment to the recipient
- The applicants are kindly requested to note that due to availability of funds, not all applications may be funded, and that the decision may take up to 4 months depending on the Executive Committee meetings.
- EGS requests a short report of the learning experiences, addressed to the Training Support Committee and mailed to the EGS Secretary within one month after completion of the visit.
Belgium, University of Leuven (Ingeborg Stalmans)
France, Institut du Glaucome de Paris (Yves Lachkar)
Germany, University of Mainz (Esther Hoffmann)
Greece, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Fotis Topouzis)
Spain, Hospital Clinico San Carlos. Universidad Complutense Madrid (Julian Garcia Feijoo)
North Ireland, Belfast, Queen's University (Augusto Azuara-Blanco)
UK, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust (Anthony King)
Travel grants are typically meant to support a short observership, which may subsequently lead to a fellowship. The above centres also accept EGS Fellowships. Other centres can also be considered for an observership, if a motivation for this choice is provided in the application letter.
Please realize that we are getting more applications than can be met by the available funds. Your application will be evaluated at the next meeting of the Education & Research Committee.
Travel Grant feedback