||To support a 1-year fellowship in the centres listed below.
- Other centres can also be considered for a fellowship, if a motivation for this choice is provided in the application letter.
- Three allotments 6.000 € (six thousand euros).
- If necessary, the applicant must be prepared to find additional funds to complete the 1-year fellowship.
Eligibility to Apply
Young ophthalmologist who
Being proficient in modern cataract surgery is regarded a benefit.
- has completed or is in the final stages the residency
- has special interest in glaucoma
- desires to spend a one-year fellowship in a major glaucoma centre/department in Europe
- is a European citizen, or who works and resides within the geographical boundaries of Europe
- The applicant contacts the centre of interest and enquires the availability of fellowship.
- The applicant fills in the mandatory online form and attaches all required attachments (link to application site), including the positive response from the centre.
- The EGS Secretary checks the application and requests references when necessary.
- The EGS Secretary mails the completed application to the Training Support Committee for evaluation.
- The Training Support Committee makes a recommendation of acceptance or rejection to the Executive Committee.
- The EGS Secretary adds the recommendation of the Training Support Committee to the next Agenda of the Executive Committee meeting
- After Executive Committee’s decision, the EGS Secretary informs the candidate
- The applicants are kindly requested to note that due to availability of funds, not all applications may be funded, and that the decision may take up to 4 months depending on the timing of the Executive Committee meetings.
Payment of Fellowship Grant requires the following steps
Prior to the Fellowship
- Becoming acquainted with the EGS Fellowship Curriculum (click here)
- - Developing a personal fellowship scheme and goals in collaboration with the supervisor, taking into account prior experience and knowledge in the items listed in the curriculum, e.g. starting with self-evaluation (1-5 scaling) as well including a reading plan for the required literature and readiness to research activities.
During the Fellowship
- Keeping log-book according to the Curriculum and self-evaluating progression as well as actively asking for feed-back from the supervisor.
- For the third payment of 6000 €, the awardee mails a positive progression report to the EGS secretary.
After the Fellowship
- Writing a report to the EGS Executive Committee with a final self-evaluation and a feed-back from the supervisor, mailed to the EGS Secretary within one month after completion of the fellowship.
- The EGS Secretary mails the awardee the signed Certificate for fellowship Grant which advices the next administrative steps
- The awardee mails to the EGS Secretary the letter of acceptance from the training centre including the period of the fellowship.
- The awardee mails her/his bank data (IBAN and BIC codes) to the EGS Secretary for the first payment of 6000 €.
- EGS Secretary forwards the confirmation of all completed steps of the process (including the bank details) to the EGS Treasurer for payment.
- The Treasurer confirms the payment to the EGS secretary, who confirms the payment to the recipient.
- The second payment will be executed at the beginning of the fellowship and the third 6 months after the beginning of the fellowship once the EGS Secretary has received a confirmation letter of the expected progression of the fellowship from the host centre.
The Glaucoma Centres so far willing to accept an observer or a fellow as a trainee are:
- Belgium, University of Leuven (Ingeborg Stalmans)
- France, Institut du Glaucome de Paris (Yves Lachkar)
- Germany, University of Mainz (Esther Hoffman)
- Greece, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Fotis Topouzis)
- Spain, Hospital Clinico San Carlos. Universidad Complutense Madrid (Julian Garcia Feijoo)
- UK, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham (Anthony King)
- UK, Queen's University, Belfast, North Ireland (Augusto Azuara-Blanco)
To apply for an EGS Fellowship, please fill in and send the following form (all the fields are mandatory):